Sunday, March 13, 2011

Title-less For Now!

In light of the recent earthquakes and tsunami disaster in Japan, I couldn't help but recalled the same fate experienced by our Sumateran neighbor more than six years ago. Our west-coast shores too were not spared as they were hit by the secondary waves of tsunami. Also those of the countries along the Indian Ocean.

My own experience may not be as great as the people close by the sea had, but still it was unforgettable.

That 26th December 2004 morning, just after Subuh, I was about to lie in for a bit but was awaken when little MyC sneaked in between me and hubby on our bed. I let her sleep while I decided to start on my chores. I was sitting on the floor in the family area arranging the week's papers. I glanced at the wall clock and it showed exactly 9am. I was about to straighten some books when all of a sudden I felt dizzy and nauseous. Sitting down on the floor I felt like my butt*** being massaged! ( I wanted to say fondle, actually....hikhikhik!). I tried getting up but kept falling down. I called out for hubby but he was so sound asleep.
I looked up and saw all the ceiling fans were swaying. I forced myself up and sat on the armchair and was thinking whether what I felt just then was signs of a hypertension! And it scared the hell out of me when another round of shaking and rocking resumed. Only then I realised it was the tremor. Fear that the porch would cave in, I rushed outside to save the cars first. Ngeh18X!!

It was a very quiet Sunday and people were still on holidays as I ran outside my house. I wanted to confirm that what I felt was really a tremor. Then I saw the residents from the apartment opposite my house flocked outside their buildings. Sadly, I did not know anyone of them but my curiosity was intense so I just walked up and asked a group of ladies. The tremor was real... and it happened a few times too. It was a good three minutes altogether, but when it was over, my heart still raced like anything.

At breakfast that morning, I was explaining to MyC about tsunami. How it happened and the origin of its name. I remembered showing her an atlas and telling her how devastating tsunamis would do. And it was not in my wildest dream, it was about to happen...

It was funny somehow, I did not even turn on the tv to catch the breaking news. But after zohor, we all decided to eat lunch outside. It was already after two when we left home and I had the shock of my life when I saw dozens of fishing boats 'parking' in the middle of the road just as we turned out from our taman. And there were people everywhere, police patrol cars and fire-engines. Then it hit me. What I'd just explained to MyC, must have happened.

On the radio news about the Aceh tsunami disaster were reported. And that was it... I could not believe Penang and parts of the northern province (where I lived) were badly battered. Sadness loomed for weeks afterward.

And yet again, another tsunami hit Japan...

Note: Please read an interesting posting on this at kak Zen's blog.

10 comments:

CS said...

Lili
Somehow I just knew how you must have felt then for I too had experienced somewhat the same incident way back in 2004. If you say "cer citer", I might be kind enuf to citer, ngeheheh..

Iridescent Aisyah said...

oh my, thats scary. for myself, had an experience when I was back in manchester..thank god it was only a small tremor..

Lili said...

CS,

There's no doubt about that, everyone has their story to relate.
So, cer citer, kak som, cer citer in your next posting! :=D

Lili said...

Munirah,

You must be terrified that time, eh, being small and away in a foreign land...

Good luck to you, Tatak!

Wan Sharif said...

I made this comment on somebody else blog on Tsunami.. talking geology..
Peninsular Malaysia and Sumatra are on the Sunda Shelf ..a rather stable part of Eurasian plate.
That 26 Dec 2004 tsunami is the result of Australian Plate or Indian Plate subducting under the stable part of Eurasian plate.
The likelihood of Malaysia experiencing Tsunami is always there.. albeit a secondary one (a rather mild one compared to the primary Tsunami that hit Bandar Aceh) just like the one we experienced on that fateful 26 Dec 2004.
The recent Pacific coast of Japan tsunami would have reached Peninsular Malaysia coast (the east coast) if not for the fact that the tsunami have to negotiate through the islands of Philippines and that Vietnamese Peninsular..
May Allah protect our Bolehlan and the Kerpoklekorland..

Anonymous said...

i don't know what to say. am saddened and scared every time mother nature strikes. subhanallah

Ibu n Abah said...

lili...
masa tsunami tu, i masih tinggal di Penang...
terasa gaklah gegarnya walau sikit....
mcm u jugak.. org seluruh dun ia dah tahu, i petang minggu tu baru tahu....

Lili said...

Ayoh Wang,

I read your similar comment at Kak Zen's.

Thanks a million for your geological information for the benefit to those who may have not read this at Kak Zen's blog.

I like that Kerpoklekorland! ;)

Lili said...

Noir,

That's very true...every time a musibah strikes we fall into that remorseful feelings. Question is, have we really repented? (ok, that's a question for myself lah!)

Lili said...

Akak,

Ye tak ye, akak masih di Penang masa tu kan? Tempat saya berasa dekat sangat masa gerak gempa tu. Memang kuat.