Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Something Gotta Go 2....

For some reasons, some things are best be shared even though they are not really ours. That some things like memories we hold close to our hearts, are part of our reasons to rejoice. And then, there will come a time even memories have to be erased... Just when you thought these memories will always be there whenever you feel like looking back, more often than not, you take them for granted until you learned that one day one is going to slip before your eyes...

Saturday morning saw me heading happily to Wan Intan's house. She is about the only closest relative I have here in Butterworth. Wan Intan is not a natural 'wan' like me, but being a second-cousin aunt, we normally attached a 'wan' to the names of aunts and an 'Ayah' to uncles. 'Wan' here means emak saudara (aunt). Wan Intan is my late father's second cousin from her (wan intan's) maternal side -  related through my great-grandmother who married my great-grandfather who is a 'Wan'. And that makes my great-grandmother and Wan Intan's grandmother, siblings, and my grandfather and Wan Intan's mother, first cousins... wow...punya ler bersoreh!  Confused? You tell me! One of my first cousins from my mother's side called us 'keluarga 69'! Muahahahaha))

I was going to Wan Intan's house that morning when she called me to collect my things which she had bought for me and some gifts which she wanted to give on her recent trip to England.

But what I did not expect at all when I reached her house, was the signage posted outside her home and it took me a while to compose myself before I decided to take some pictures of it....

Oh no! Not this house that has marked many occasions. In any situation, I see myself come and go as I wish like it is of my own grandparents place. This is a house in the heart of Butterworth on a prime land.
I can only imagine another developer eager to tear this one down when the time comes. :'(





Like that one house, this one is very special to me too. I first came to visit Pah Chu and Tok Su, when I was about eleven. This imposing house is very warm with friendly people living here. Tok Su was a scholar and his formidable persona intimidated me so much....hikhik! I would hide from him every time he was around but secretly I love the way he spoke in English. I was told by my late father that Tok Su was his English Language master in MCKK who made him define the word 'IS'! And I remember now, he was the one who used a lot of the word 'uncouth' on his mischievous grandchildren when they were loud ...haha! He was practically my walking dictionary. Pah Chu on the other hand was a very loving lady who loved me like I was her own grandchild.

Anyway, when I saw Wan Intan that day, she told me it was a unanimous decision she and her siblings have come to. I toured about the house and told her I was going to miss this house once the deal is done. And she said, she cried when they made the decision. But like I said before....something gotta go...

 Pictures of arwah Tok Su (Dato' Salleh) and arwah Pah Chu Nuteh
and some of the family photos....


  
I'm going to miss this place but certainly not the memories.. :'(


10 comments:

CS said...

Lili
Your entry hari nih agak berat. I pernah alami pengalaman bila terpaksa berpisah dengan 3 buah rumah yg penuh dengan segala macam kenangan.

Life goes on...

P/S: So, Wan Intan duduk mana nanti?

zarin said...

i pun terasa rasa kesebakkannya.... sedih arrr

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Lili,
Houses are just brick and mortar, memories are what's etched in your heart. Like we miss the life we had in Sydney, not really the house we lived in. It's not easy letting go, though. purrr *giggles*

Lili said...

CS,

Yes, life goes on. After all there is nothing eternal about everything...

Thanks for asking. Wan Intan has a few houses here and on the island. She'll be moving to her new house once it is completed. She has been the care-taker of this family home and now it is only apt she lives with her family in their 'real' house. :)

Lili said...

Zarin,

Memang kita geng cepat sebak! hehe

Sizuka said...

k.lili,

the sad part about growing up is that, there are so many fond places, full with memories, that we have to eventually let go. sedih..

Lili said...

Nicole,

Waaaa...feels like crying!

Lili said...

Shidah,

How true.
And the saddest part of my life is, I don't really get to know my paternal grandparents like I knew my great-aunt and great-uncle.

Sizuka said...

k.lili,

how come?

Lili said...

Shidah,

Well, my paternal grandmother died when my parents were not even married yet! And my grandfather had moved to Terengganu at that time. And when he died there it was only my father who attended the funeral. All my life I only knew my step-grandmothers as my real grandmothers..and now they too had left this world. My step-grandmas were wonderful people. One day, I shall make a trip down to Batu Buruk to visit their graves.

Al-Fatihah to all of them.

By the way, I have an old picture of my late grandmother. And you know what? She was so beautiful... :D

aduhai...mana mai ayaq mata ni! :'(