Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Meguriai" - Chance Encounter?

Me-gu-ri-ai is a title of a Japanese song. I suddenly remembered  this beautiful song while admiring an exquisite diamond ring outside a jewelery store the other day. So, do bear with me - with my sentimentality; as I take this walk down another memory lane...

Some time in the early nineties, I found myself hooked on many Japanese dramas on tv. I hardly leave the house during weekdays and gave up on my afternoon naps simply because these series were heck entertaining - mostly heart-warming and sometimes tear-jerking. I made sure no one bothered me during the one-hour shows by pulling off the telephone plug, doors closed and curtains drawn as if I was not at home. Some obsessions, you might think! But hey, that was the only moment I had to myself.

One of my very best memories about these series would be of, "Tokyo Cinderella Story". Somehow, like most other serial dramas, I seemed to miss their last episodes! But due to encouraging requests from tv viewers, they repeated the show and at the same time slot too. I was thrilled... but again, missed the last episode as I was vacationing in Langkawi! Silly of me sneaking out of my hotel room to shop for an electric  deep-fryer, and ran back just in time for the drama....arghhh...only to realise that I had locked myself outside and couldn't get to wake up hubby who was sleeping like a log! By the time I was done banging and knocking the door... ringing the bell and all, the show had already ended. When the door finally swung opened, I greeted hubby with a sulking face.

Later that same year, there was a rerun of the drama and this time, I got to watch the ending. Hehe...

As always, I love the soundtracks of Japanese dramas. And this particular song from Tokyo Cinderella Story, "Meguriai", was so deeply felt. Most of the songs too, were sung by these wonderful duo, Chage & Aska...
It was these songs that prompted me to write tonight and also, a conversation between hubby and me that reminded me of the story "101st Marriage Proposals", and the ring that I saw in the window...

Here's one of my favourite songs by Chage & Aska...

8 comments:

anneaziz said...

Salam Ateh,

I hate getting stuck on watching any series after Mis Tres Hermanas! Sakit jiwa tak leh nak buat apa..nak tengok jugak, then it was rosalinda, betty yo soy, winter sonata, autumn in my heart. I still watch astro 303 for korean dramas! But within limits, now under better control! COD!

CS said...

Salam lili ..
I pernah dilanda kegilaan during Oshin time, haha. Then a few years back giler dgn Filipino drama Sang apantah Wakal.. haha.. dah tak ingat nama dia pun. Becoz of that, I tuang majlis ilmi. Oh tuhan ampunkanku
Time org berWinter Sonata, Rosalinda, Betty Boo semua tu .. ntah kemana I pun. I x tengok apa pun.
Sejak 2 menjak I watch drama Melayu at 4.30pm n 6.30pm AND I am proud to say that both dramas (yg baru jer ON AIR over tv3) I tak follow langsong. Tengoklah sampai bila boleh bertahan (sampai HERO seMalaya main, baru I tengok semula kot, hehe).

CS said...

Ralat* Ilmi = ilmu (boleh gak ilmiah?).. :-)

Lili said...

Salam Anne,

Sorry, lambat balas comment! How've you been? Me? Very the 'weng' sikit! As usual, retreating into my shell...

Anyway, same here...once upon time!
Sekarang dah boleh buat pilihan dan tak setia sangat dengan tv. Yes, channel 303 is my favourite too!

Lili said...

Salam CS!

Haha... O sama la den!

Aah, ye..sanay wala nang wakas! Memang giler habis tengok tu! Lepas tu, ada ulangan pun masih tengok lagi..mana tak jadi penunggu rumah, wahaahah! (ish, apasal I ketawa macam nak nangis!)

I kan.. kalo drama main dubbing dubbing ni I tak tengok sangat. I nak dalam bahse negara tu gak. Drama Korea kat tv8 selalu nyakit hati jer..tu yg setia dgn Astro 303 kbsw. hehe ;)

p/s: sorry ler...not myself of late...

CS said...

lili, I faham. Kita kan sesama ketam?? Take care.

Lee said...

Hi Lili, pity we do not get Japanese TV shows here, but have a Chinese channel, 24 hours, as usual lots of weepy stories.
Love the song playing now.
But I never miss Japanese movies....Last Samurai, Memoirs of a Geisha, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers.....and love Ken Watanabe....

But I'll take a pass on Japanese food, not girls, ha ha.
Have a nice day, enjoyed reading how you locked yourself out, ha ha. Lee.

Lili said...

Hi Lee, just read your comment here! I've been a naughty girl lately. Hehe! Have not updated my blog and slackened in my other chores too (sigh)!

Wow, rugilah...I love Japanese food! How now? Haha!